As a business owner with an excavator, understanding which work-sites pay the highest hourly rates can significantly impact your profitability. The earning potential varies based on the size and capabilities of the excavator you use. In this article, we will explore the work-sites that offer the highest pay per hour for different sizes of excavators:
Small Excavator (0.8 to 3 tons)
Small excavators are ideal for maneuvering in tight spaces and performing tasks that require precision. While their hourly rates are generally lower than larger excavators, they can still be lucrative in the right work-sites.
- Residential Landscaping Projects: Small excavators are often sought after for residential landscaping tasks, such as digging trenches for irrigation systems, creating ponds, and leveling uneven terrain. The hourly rate for these projects can range from $50 to $100 per hour.
- Pool and Pond Construction: Building small swimming pools or ponds is another niche that suits small excavators. For these projects, you can command an hourly rate of $70 to $120.
Medium Excavator (4 to 6 tons)
Medium excavators strike a balance between maneuverability and power, making them versatile for various applications.
- Utility Installation and Trenching: Medium excavators are frequently used for utility installation and trenching work, including water lines and sewer lines. The hourly rate for these projects can range from $100 to $150.
- Concrete and Hardscaping Projects: Medium-sized excavators are well-suited for concrete and hardscaping projects, such as patio installations and walkway construction. You can charge an hourly rate of $120 to $180 for these services.
Large Excavator (7 to 20 tons)
Large excavators offer substantial power and digging capabilities, making them valuable for heavy-duty projects.
- Commercial Construction: Large excavators are often employed in commercial construction projects, such as foundation digging and site preparation. The hourly rate for these projects can range from $150 to $250.
- Demolition Services: Large excavators are effective for demolition of larger structures and areas. The hourly rate for demolition work with a large excavator can range from $120 to $200.
Extra-Large Excavator (Over 20 tons)
Extra-large excavators are heavy-duty machines used for large-scale construction and earthmoving projects.
- Major Infrastructure Projects: Extra-large excavators are commonly used in major infrastructure projects, such as highway construction and large-scale earthmoving. The hourly rate for such projects can go beyond $250, depending on the complexity and scope.
- Mining and Quarry Operations: In mining and quarry operations, extra-large excavators play a pivotal role in excavation and material handling. The hourly rate for these specialized projects can range from $300 to $500 or more.
Selecting the right work-site for your excavator is essential to maximize your earnings. The hourly rates can vary significantly based on the size of the excavator and the type of work being performed. For smaller excavators, residential landscaping and pool/pond construction are lucrative options. Medium-sized excavators find demand in utility installation and concrete/hardscaping projects. Large and extra-large excavators are well-suited for commercial construction, demolition, major infrastructure projects, and mining/quarry operations.
Before taking on any project, ensure that your excavator is equipped to handle the task safely and efficiently. Additionally, consider factors like project duration, fuel costs, and equipment maintenance when determining the profitability of each work-site. By strategically choosing the most suitable work-sites, you can boost your hourly earnings and achieve long-term success in your excavator business.